As we age, our teeth naturally become dull and discolored. Even the best oral hygiene will yield some ground to the effects of time. Not surprisingly, one of the questions we’re asked most at South High Dental is how to get rid of yellow teeth.
With advances in modern dentistry, it’s easy to put that youthful sparkle back in your smile. From new toothpastes to breakthrough in-office treatments, there are more options for whiter, brighter teeth than ever before, many of which are quite affordable.
So before you flash those pearly whites again, here are a few things you can do to get and keep your teeth looking their best.
Preventing Yellow Teeth
As we mentioned earlier, some dental discoloration is inevitable with age. But the process of yellowing can be slowed significantly by doing the following:
- Don’t smoke: Obviously, there are plenty of compelling reasons to quit smoking. But don’t forget that nicotine is also one of the leading causes of yellow teeth. Smoking is also associated with gum disease and other oral complications that can lead to unhealthy-looking teeth.
- Watch what you eat (and drink): Coffee, tea, and red wine top the list of teeth-staining beverages, a result of chemical compounds called tannins abundant in the plants from which they’re made. Berries are also rich in tannins. The sugar in soda is known to weaken the enamel in your teeth, leaving them more prone to stains and other damage. Highly-pigmented foods such as tomato sauce and dark sauces like soy sauce are also known to affect tooth color.
- Brush and floss: Preventative measures are great for keeping your teeth their whitest. Brush for a full two minutes twice a day, and don’t forget to floss once. The more consistent you are, the better your teeth will look. And they’ll be healthy to boot.
- Check your health: Your overall health can affect your teeth in more ways than you may realize. Specific problems like diabetes, eating disorders, iron deficiencies can lead to dull, dingy-looking teeth. Some medications like antibiotics, antihistamines, and, ironically enough, mouth rinses can also stain teeth.
Getting Rid of Yellow Teeth
Teeth whitening is how to get rid of yellow teeth most effectively. It’s today’s most commonly performed cosmetic dental procedure. It’s safe, easy, and produces dramatic results almost immediately. But while a professional, in-office whitening is an option, there are other methods available for different budgets. Let’s take a look:
- In-office whitening: This is the safest, most reliable, and most effective way to get your teeth their whitest. Doctors perform the procedure in a dentist’s office and usually takes several sittings of 30-60 minutes. Dramatic results, however, can be seen after just one. As you might expect, this method is also the most expensive.
- At-home whitening: A dentist-provided, at-home kit is another effective method. It uses a bleaching gel dispensed into a tray that covers the user’s teeth. A full course of applications may take anywhere from a handful of days to a few weeks. While not as quick or thorough as in-office treatments, at-home kits are a more affordable answer to how to get rid of yellow teeth.
- OTC whiteners: Here’s how to get rid of yellow teeth at home. Over-the-counter whitening systems use the same bleaching agents—typically hydrogen peroxide—used in professional treatments, but at a lower dose. As a result, they only whiten the enamel surface of the tooth. A standard kit may use a gel or strips and takes several applications to produce noticeable results. It’s a good choice for the budget-minded.
- Whitening toothpaste: The least effective method is also the most affordable. Whitening toothpastes, like all other teeth-cleaning products, are only meant to remove surface stains. The addition of hydrogen peroxide makes these specially-formulated dentifrices more effective than others at eliminating discoloration, but are likely to yield only a single shade of difference. They may not be the best way of how to get rid of yellow teeth, but they’re a great maintenance option.
South High Dental
At South High Dental, we know how to get rid of yellow teeth. From a quick cleaning to deep whitening treatment, we can give you a smile worthy of the silver screen—or a multitude of selfies. To learn more about available treatments, give us a call at 614.363.2462.