A beautiful smile can be important in so many ways. As one of the first things that people notice about you, a great smile can help you make connections and open doors. It can also be an essential tool for boosting self-esteem. But not all of us are born with the smiles we deserve. If you want to fix teeth that are not entirely straight, you will need to go to an orthodontist. And it is better to get teeth-alignment problems out of the way when you are young. But does my child need an orthodontist? How young is too young? And what should I look for in an orthodontist for my child?
If you have been wondering, “Does my child need an orthodontist?” there are a few things you should know.
Does My Child Need an Orthodontist?
Of all of the people in the U.S. with braces, about 75% of them are under the age of 20. This is in part because it is usually more convenient to have teeth straightened when we are younger. It is also because orthodontic treatment services should begin when a patient is still developing. But as a parent, it can be hard to know when is the right time.
At South High Dental, we believe, along with most other dental professionals, that a child should start seeing an orthodontist starting around age 7. But before that, there are some things to look for if you are worried about your child needing braces. The following list is not comprehensive, of course. But if you have been asking yourself, “Does my child need an orthodontist?” you can start by asking:
- Have their baby teeth come in early? Have they lost their baby teeth late? Have their baby teeth come in irregularly?
- Do they seem to have difficulty sucking or chewing?
- Do they habitually suck their thumb or fingers? Or do they habitually bite their cheeks or suck on their lips?
- When they bite down, do their teeth meet up irregularly?
- Are their teeth or other parts of their mouth area out of proportion to the rest of their head or face?
- Do they have crowded or crooked teeth?
Again, this is not a complete list. But if your child exhibits one or more of these, they may be on the road to needing orthodontics. In any case, it is worth speaking to a dental professional about their condition.
Finding the Right Orthodontist for Your Child
If you have been asking yourself, “Does my child need an orthodontist?” you also need to think about which orthodontist is right for you. At South High Dental, we believe that finding the right fit is essential. This means looking into:
- Making sure that the price is right, or that insurance will cover your child’s needs
- Determining whether braces or clear aligning trays like Invisalign are right for your child — and that they carry both
- Asking about aftercare, especially retainers, before you start the process
- Convenience — this includes appointment times and proximity to your home
And if you are unsure about any aspect of your child’s treatment, be sure to shop around!
Contact South High Dental Today
South High Dental has been serving the Columbus area for more than 30 years. If you have been asking, “Does my child need an orthodontist?” we are a great place to start. Reach out to us today using our secure online form or by calling us at 614.363.2462. Let’s straighten your child’s smile today!